Friday, June 25, 2010

Glacier Island Kayak

Today I went on an incredible kayaking trip along the coast of Glacier Island with Anadyr Adventures, kayaking, camping, and backpacking outfitters based here in Valdez. Glacier Island is located near the mouth of Columbia Bay, where Columbia Glacier is located.

The day started at 8 a.m., where I met the group met at the Anadyr shop and got fitted for rubber boots and rain gear. After a quick lesson on kayaking technique and safety by our guide, Emily, we headed to the boats that would take us to the place we would begin our paddle. The boat ride was beautiful - the water was calm and low clouds clung to the mountains on either side of the boat.

After about an hour's boat ride, we reached our starting point, a beach on the far end of Glacier Island. Everyone was in double kayaks, so I shared with a very nice woman, Ched, who was part of an incredibly wonderful group of five people on the trip. I sat in the back of the kayak, which meant I got to steer the rudder using foot pedals inside the boat. Before this trip, I had only kayaked a few times, and had never steered a rudder before. I got the hang of steering after a little practice, and by the end of the day, I barely had to think about it.

The scenery was pretty similar all day, but it was spectacular - emerald green water washing up against rocky cliffs. Evergreens and other lush vegetation grew up from the rocks all over the island, and moss or algae of some sort grew along the waterline. Lovely sea caves and rock formations made every bit of the coastline unique and exciting. Even though it rained lightly on us almost all day, the scenery was so incredible that it didn't put a damper on the experience.

The water taxis dropping us off at Glacier Island

Beginning our kayak along Glacier Island










As we paddled around the island, Stellar Sea Lions became curious and started following our kayaks. Several groups followed us or swam alongside our boats throughout the day. A couple even swam underneath our kayak - I was a little nervous they would knock into the boat and capsize us, but of course they didn't! What I think I'll remember the most is the noise they made as they came up after swimming underwater - a hoarse gasping noise as the exhaled and then took another breath of air.

Two Stellar Sea Lions swimming near the boat

Another sea lion swimming towards us



After about three hours of paddling, we tucked into a peaceful little cove to have lunch and take a break on the beach. Emily made us hot chocolate, and we relaxed and enjoyed the views and each other's company before pressing on.

Paddling into the beach where we had lunch

My kayak on the beach

The rain picked up a little at lunch, but luckily not for long

We finished eating and continued on towards Bull Head, where hundreds of sea lions spend time on the rocky beaches. The scenery continued to be fabulous as we paddled along.












Bull Head - notice the sea lions on the rocks in the background

More sea lions on the rocks


While we admired the sea lions at Bull Head, someone in the group spotted a humpback whale in deeper water. We paddled out towards it a little, and then realized there were actually two whales as they fluked out of the water in unison. We watched the whales for a while, and then it was time for the boats to come and pick us up and bring us back to Valdez. This entire trip was breathtakingly beautiful, and I feel so lucky to have been able to see everything I did!

On the way home (and on the way out in the morning) I talked to another guide from Anadyr, Kate, and her sister Jenn. They had gone fishing after dropping us off to kayak, and Kate caught an enormous 130 pound halibut! On the way home, she invited me to a get together with some of her friends in town, which just happened to be across the street from where I am living this summer. I met a lot of people, all of whom were incredibly nice and welcoming. I would have to say that all in all, today was one of my favorite days in Alaska so far!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing photos and terrific narrative. I absolutely felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete